So you've got just one day in Melbourne. Here's some ideas -
1. Head to Federation Square and check out the eateries, architecture and galleries including the Ian Potter Centre and the Australian Centre for the Moving Image. Take in the view from the steps of St Paul's.
Walk or take the free Circle Line Tram around the city.
2. Visit Bourke St Mall and do some shopping in the great stores. Check out the refurbished Myer Store, trendy Zara, the GPO shopping precinct and the laneways off Bourke Street.
3. Grab a coffee nearby eg at places like Manchester Press, Brother Baba Bhudan, Federal Coffee Palace or Captains of Industry, or any number of great cafes. Therere many exciting places to be found in Melbourne's laneways.
4. Head down to Southbank by tram. Go for a walk and enjoy the ambience of the Yarra. Enjoy more shopping and eateries.
5. Take in the Melbourne Museum or the Melbourne Aquarium, which are world class (several hours needed at each)!
6. Head out to St Kilda, Brunswick St or Smith St by tram - some of the most eclectic precincts in Melbourne with boutique shopping and amazing restaurants and cafes.
7. Or even travel out of the city to places like the Yarra Valley, Great Ocean Road, Mornington Peninsular and Philip Island.