Night Noodle Markets 2017 Thrills Again at Birrarung Marr
The World Loves Melbourne is a big fan of the Night Noodle Markets, an iconic event which attracts thousands of Melbourne noodle and street food lovers to the fabulous Birrarung Marr each year. We were invited to the launch in the Pimm's Garden, a highlight of the festival. The ability to access some of the top Asian street food in Melbourne at one location at reasonable prices, then enjoy dining in the magical atmosphere that is the Night Noodle Markets is a joy!
The highly-anticipated Night Noodle Markets boats sizzling menus of this year’s event, with a feast of signature dishes and innovative tastes from Melbourne and Australia-wide favourites.
The Asian market feast has returned to Birrarung Marr from 9-26 November, setting Melbourne alight with the smells, sights and sounds of hawker-style stalls over eighteen flavour-packed nights.
The opening night was sensational with the fine weather adding to the enjoyment; this is Melbourne at it's best. With Birrarung Marr close to the city along the Yarra and walking distance from Fed Square, it's easily accessible for all including families. Catch public transport or park in one of the nearby car parks.
Stroll around and take in the festive vibe. Some of our favourites include Hoy Pinoy (unforgettable skewers), Wonderbao (sensational bao), Blackstar Pastry (legends from Sydney originally and that Strawberry Watermelon cake!), The Brulee Cart (indulgent brulee), and Gelato Messina (perennial favourite), to name a few.
Every November, Melbourne Night Noodle Markets shines a light on the city’s multi-cultural flavours, fusing cuisines from across Asia in one vibrant, open-air experience.
Not-to-be-missed dishes from some of the amazing stalls include:
● Hochi Mama – ‘Grilled Pork Slider’, char-grilled pork and fresh Vietnamese slaw with mayo, in between two soft brioche buns
● Cloud Thief (nee Bao Stop) – ‘Old School Trifecta’ – fluffy steamed buns filled with braised pork belly, fried chicken and Peking duck
● Nem N’ Nem – ‘Loaded of Fries’, topped with pulled beef or tofu satay
● Bibimbap – Korean rice bowl with beef, chicken or tofu, vegetables and sauce
● Dum and Dumpling – ‘Dum Dum Ball’, authentic pork dim sum, steamed to perfection
● Sambal Kampung – Roti Canai with curry chicken
● Poklol – ‘Chichi Fries’, bulgogi beef, chilli chicken or chilli pork served on beer battered fries with cheese, kimchi, shallots, Japanese mayo and a sweet Korean BBQ sauce
● Puffle – ‘KFC Cheese puffle’, Korean fried chicken stuffed inside a cone-shaped egg-filled cheese waffle, topped with Japanese mayo and shallots
● Twistto – ‘Original Korean Twist Potato’, fresh potato, hand cut into a tornado shape, twisted on a stick, deep fried and finished with various seasonings
● Little Kyoto – ‘Phoritto’, Vietnamese-styled burritos
● Hoy Pinoy – Cebu-style Lechon, chopped and served on rice with atchara and spiced vinegar
● Spanthai – Fresh mango and sticky rice with coconut sauce
● Taiwan Noodle House – Taiwanese hand-pulled noodles topped with five spice beef broth, 16 hour cooked brisket, sui yuk crispy roast pork belly, char siu roast pork and steamed Chinese vegetables
● Teppanyaki Noodles – Authentic Yakisoba with sizzling chicken, beef or vegetables
● The Wagyu – Japanese BBQ beef and yogurt wrapped in a cone, served on a rice base with spinach, lettuce, purple onion
● Shallot Thai – ‘Crackling Pork Noodle’, roasted pork belly in caramelised sauce with boiled egg noodles
● Bangkok Street Food – Signature grill pork ball
● Donburi Station – Beef or chicken Donburi stew on Japanese rice
● Mahjong – ‘Dan Dan Noodle’, Szechuan hawker style spicy chicken noodles
● Wonderbao – ‘Guabao Box’, roast pork belly, sweet & spicy Korean fried chicken, and panko crumbed eggplant With savoury tastes fully satisfied, Night Noodle Markets is also taking care of sweet-toothed Melburnians:
● The Brûlée Cart – ‘Salty Sailor’, salted caramel and ginger crème brûlée torched to order with peanut popcorn
● Waffleland – ‘Black Panda’, fresh baked waffle with black sesame maple syrup and icing sugar
● Blackstar Pastry – ‘Death by Chocolate Parfait’ – custard soaked cake topped with Oreos, cookies and cream gelato, whipped cream and a dusting of coca.
● Gelato Messina – ‘Kamikaze Katsu’, Sudachi lime gelato coated in red velvet cake and panko crumbs sandwiched in fluffy white bread with yuzu sauce