Mother's Day in Melbourne - Gift ideas, Things to do and OFFSPRING GIVEAWAY
How does one say thanks to the most important woman in their life, the one partially responsible for bringing you in to this crazy beautiful world? Mother’s Day is fast approaching, and I’m not sure about you, but the pressure always seems to mount. It needs to be perfect, as she deserves no less. There are dual roles to play on this day: son/daughter to mum as well as husband to the mother of my children. Follow this cheat sheet of how to ‘hack’ Mother’s Day with the kids: things to do, places to go, and presents to buy. You will also get the chance to win the ‘Ultimate Offspring Mother’s Day’ pack, valued at $250.00 to gift to you mum or wife.
Things to buy mum for Mother’s Day
Shopping for mum is no easy feat. Candles, scarves, books and magazine subscriptions all make for great Mother’s Day presents, but I like to opt for something more memorable and experiential. Consider these Melbourne themed presents:
1. Offspring Season 1 – 5 DVD boxset: Every woman I know is obsessed with this show. I’ve watched a few episodes myself and was particularly impressed with how it celebrates the dysfunctional, somewhat hilarious aspects of family life. Last Mother’s Day we were in the throes of the final seasons (did everyone else hear ‘Patrick’ wailed throughout their house?), this year, we can give mums the Offspring Complete Seasons 1- 5 DVD boxset so they can watch it over and over again. You can buy it from JB Hifi, which is available for purchase online here to save you time.
2. Melbourne Tramcar experience: Every Melbournian needs to experience this at some stage in their life, and what better present than to gift mum the ultimate Melbourne dining experience. There are various course options and price points, ranging from $80 - $140.00. To find out more, visit the Tram Restaurant website.
3. Strictly Ballroom: A night at the theatre is a night well spent. Strictly Ballroom is currently in town, and what a great present for mum. Tickets prices range from $55 - $150 and can be booked through Ticketek.
Things to do on Mother’s Day in Melbourne
Aside from making her brekky in bed and partaking in light house chores to relieve mum, there is a whole day to fill. Here are some ideas on how to spend the day together:
1.High Tea: High Tea is a great Mother’s Day activity. It’s quaint, feminine a little bit posh and totally luxurious. Mum will definitely love the detail and service associated with High Tea and what’s not to love about little ribbon sandwiches, perfect tiny pastries, scones and tea? There’s the usual culprits: Windsor Hotel, Langham, Mossgreen Tea House but for a High Tea session with a difference, I’d opt for high tea at InterContinental Melbourne, The Rialto this Mother’s Day as they’re currently hosting a special Sound of Music themed High Tea in celebration of the movie’s 50th anniversary. There will be brown little packages tied up with string containing some of your favourite things, adelweiss playing in the background and a few other Sound of Music surprises. $60 per person, full detail here.
2.Mother’s Day Classic: get the family out of bed early and get your bodies moving. Rally around mum, and walk the Tan together for a great cause and to pay tribute to those who are struggling a battle this Mother’s Day too. The Mother’s Day Classic has become a touching Melbourne tradition. Brunch afterwards will be far more rewarding too. To find out more, or to sign up, visit here.
3.Yum cha: Yum Cha is the bomb. It’s social, interactive and above all, delicious. Saigon Sally restaurant (sister restaurant to Hanoi Hannah and Tokyo Tina) has just introduced a contemporary yum cha to its Sunday menu. $39 per person, book here.
4.Dinner with the extended family: I like to avoid big family get togethers at the home on Mother’s Day because it often means a lot of work for the host involved. It’s mums day, so make it as fuss free as possible, with minimal preparation and cleaning on her end. So, with that comes the problem: where does a big group of people dine out in Melbourne? The below Melbourne restaurants take group bookings:
- Colonel Tan’s, Prahran
- Trunk, CBD
- Hutong Dumping, Prahran or CBD
- Tramway, Fitzroy
- Jims Greek Tavern, Collingwood
- Cecconi's, Flinders Lane
WIN the Ultimate Mother’s Day Offspring Pack!
We have the ultimate pack to giveaway for Mother’s Day. Valued at $250, the package includes the Offspring Season 1 – 5 Boxset valued at $109.00, the ‘Nora’ bouquet of flowers from Interflora valued at $94.50, a bottle of red wine (in true Proudman style) and a box of chocolates – the perfect weekend in for mum.
To enter, simply tell us your quirkiest family moment in 60 words or less and send to david(at)theworldlovesmelbourne(dot)com and we will choose a winner. Competition ends Tuesday 5th May 4.00pm AEST. Australian residents only.