Fava Puree w Hazelnuts Crisp Chickpeas & Shallots Recipe
FAVA PUREE, HAZELNUTS, CRISP CHICKPEAS & SHALLOTS
1⁄2 Tbsp X BLENDED OIL 3 X WHITE SHALLOTS (finely sliced) 3 X GARLIC CLOVES (finely chopped, paste) 500 GR X YELLOW SPLIT PEAS 1 X DRIED BAY LEAVES 1⁄2 Tbsp X SALT 1⁄2 Tbsp X CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
1. Rinse and drain yellow split peas
2. In a pot, heat up oil then sweat out onions till soft and translucent
3. Add split peas and stir for 2 minutes. Add bay leaves, salt and pepper
4. Cover peas with water with 8cm in excess of surface.
5. Simmer gently until very soft but not mushy. Skim starch off the top layer every now & then
6. Transfer onto a perforated tray & allow liquid to drain. Remove bay leaves
2 GARLIC CLOVES (smashed) 1 SHALLOTS (roughly chopped) 1 Tspn LEMON (juiced) 1/4 CUP EVOO SMALL HANDFUL OF PICKED DILL
In a food processor, combine garlic, shallots & lemon juice. Add 3/4 of the split pea mixture & pulse until smooth
With the motor running, drizzle in olive oil to form an emulsion
Add the dill and season to taste. Pulse again
Turn into a large bowl and mix in the remaining split pea mixture
Mix with a spatula until evenly mixed.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
To a portion of dip add as a garnish, some toasted hazelnuts & thinly sliced shallots that have been steeped in red wine vinegar for 10 minutes.
Shallow fry some well drained chickpeas in oil until crispy, drain well.
Season well with sea salt.
Sprinkle some chopped parsley over the top & serve with crusty warm bread.
Courtesy Vas Donoudis