Recipe - Daniel Wilson's Tonkatsu Pork Burger w Apple & Fennel Slaw
Tonkatsu pork burger with apple & fennel slaw
Makes 4 burgers
500 gm Australian pork loin (supplied by Rainbow Meats Highpoint)
½ (125 ml) cup milk
Flour for dusting
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
vegetable oil for shallow frying
100 ml kewpie mayo (Japanese)
50 ml tonkatsu sauce
4 burger buns
Fennel & Apple Slaw
1 fennel bulb, shaved
1 green apple, peeled & grated
¼ red cabbage, finely sliced
½ cup mayonnaise
salt & pepper
1. For the slaw: Toss the fennel, apple & cabbage with the mayo and season.
2. Slice the pork loin into thin slices & beat lightly with a mallet between plastic wrap. The pork should be approximately 4 cm x 3 cm and 3 mm thick.
4. Whisk the eggs & milk together.
5. Dredge the pork in flour then dip in the egg wash and then into the panko crumbs, make sure you press the crumbs into the pork well.
7. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add half a centimetre of vegetable oil. Allow the oil to heat and then carefully place the crumbed pork in. Cook until golden (about 3 minutes) and then turn over and cook until golden on the other side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel. Season with a little salt.
8. Mix the tonkatsu sauce with the kewpie mayonnaise and set aside.
9. To assemble the burgers: Place some of the tonkatsu mayo on the bottom of the bun and then top with the pork. Next place some of the slaw on the pork and then top with the lid of the bun. Enjoy!
Supplied by Mango Agency with Daniel Wilson appearing at Highpoint Shopping Centre.