Five Melbourne Cup Carnival Essentials
One of the world's great sporting events. The 2014 Melbourne Cup Carnival is upon us and we have produced our five Melbourne Cup essentials...
Melbourne comes alive for AAMI Victoria Derby Day, Emirates Melbourne Cup, Crown Oaks Day and Emirates Stakes Day.
Here are our five essentials -
1. Dress For The Occasion. Don't come in your denims or dress too casually. The Melbourne Cup Carnival is when Melbournians dress up and come to the races in their droves. Fashion meets sport and the crowd of around 100,000 at the Melbourne Cup is resplendant in suits, fascinators and fine accesories. Keep your shoes on ladies!
In the lead up to the Spring Carnival there are many fashion events including the David Jones Racewear Runway. Having been to the David Jones event, it marks the start of spring in Melbourne and gives a heads up to fashionistas as to what to wear to the Spring Racing Carnival. It reveals the colours, the prints, the overall look, and of course the headwear in fashion.
And the Myer Fashions on the Field competition is also popular with entrants highly visible to the onlooking public.
2. Transport - catch the train. For those concerned about transport, the best bet is to catch the train. From the city it's super easy as dedicated trains run to Flemington (only 6km) with the course a short walk. Even in your heels it's all good!
3. Check out the Celebs. Each year the Melbourne Cup Carnival attracts a large number of Celebs. But don't embarass yourself - when you see a celeb stay cool and act like you belong. Everyone is a VIP. If you're fortunate enough to get into the Birdcage you might get to hang with a few Celebs. This is the place where the celebs hang out and is the place to be at The Melbourne Cup.
There's no better place to enjoy the race that stops a nation than in the Birdcage. A series of stunning marquees in a mini village - where no expense is spared. Thanks to Johnnie Walker I will be in the House of Walker marquee on Oaks Day.
Rolling through the gates in this festival atmosphere one is struck by the pristine condition of Flemington with roses resplendent (yellow is the rose of choice).
The fashion, the glamour, the fun...
Connecting with Melbourne socialites...
4. Grab Pole Position for the Race. Your having such a great time. But you need to time it to be able to make your way trackside about 10-15 min before the race to get a great position.
As the horses come around the track towards the finish line people are jumping and screaming and cheering (and taking photos like me).
5. Keep it tidy! You know what I'm saying. Catering at the Carnival is premium and food and wine flows. Melbourne throws a good party...